About Aidan's mama

October 3, 2011

F stands for...

Fall is for FUN!

Fall in Michigan is my favorite time of year, and I insist on spending as much time as humanly possible at the apple orchards & farms.

The eggplants have been kickin' with a vengeance in the garden, and I'm always trying to come with creative ways to use them.

The weather finally turned brisk and instantly I was craving chili, so I made eggplant chili (why not?)


Eggplant & bean chili (vegan + gluten free) with pumpkin cornbread muffins (gluten free+vegan)


I made this chili by throwing a bunch of ingredients in a pot, you really can't go wrong.

3 cans of organic kidney beans
2 cups chopped roma tomatoes
2 chopped & peeled carrots
1 onion
1 eggplant, pealed & chopped
1 1/2 cup chopped yellow & orange bell peppers
2 whole chili peppers (chopped)
8 cups of veg stock
cutting celery (a herb that tastes just like celery)
chili powder
garlic powder
cumin
mustard powder
salt

In a large stock pot I cooked down the onion and peppers, I then added the tomatoes and the veg stock. I rinsed 2 cans of beans, and the third can I only washed half of the beans, so the remaining beans in the can were still with the starchy goo that comes with canned beans (helps to thicken the chili). To that I added the remaining ingredients except the salt & cutting celery. Bring it to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook for 3 hours, do not cover!

Pumpkin Corn Muffins

2 packets of maple flavored instant oatmeal (ground into a flour)
1/2 cup corn meal
1 cup of pumpkin
1/4 cup water
2 TBSP flax powder
1 tsp baking soda

This was an experiment, and it worked for some reason. Add all the ingredients, and bake at 375 for 15 min, or until done.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...