About Aidan's mama

July 24, 2011

Herb-i-vore

One of my favorite things about summer is the plentiful fresh herbs just begging to be chopped, cooked & sprinkled.

This beautiful Sunday morning, bright and early I made a quiche with some extra spinach dip I had from Big Beaver tavern a couple nights ago- thanks to my wonderful sista Jina!

I blended it with several eggs, salt and pepper- when it cooked the color was a bit grey but the taste was outstanding. The quiche was light and flavorful!

Spinach dip & tortilla chips inspired quiche
Photobucket

The crust was a mixture of ground tortilla chips, some earth balance & sharp cheddar. I added a touch of taco seasoning which set the crust off!

Photobucket

Along side the quiche is some sweet & tangy salsa slaw, fresh coconut & watermelon with a touch of local honey.

Opening up a coconut is a real ordeal. I totally forgot what a pain it is, but it was worth the strife.

Photobucket
ba-da-ba-ba-ba He lovers it.

The other night I made a herb roasted chicken breast in fresh rosemary, oregano, parsley, course chopped garlic & fresh lemon. It was served with some redskin butter mash and a creamy tomato sauce.

Photobucket


Rosemary roasted honey almonds
Photobucket

2cups raw almonds
1tablespoon olive oil
1tablespoon honey
fresh chopped rosemary- as much as you desire
kosher salt


Now after I made these I felt they could be a little sweeter, so feel free to add more honey than I added for this batch. I baked the nuts at 375 for about 12 min. DO NOT OVER BAKE YOUR NUTS- and don't you dare bother tasting them after you take them out of the oven! They need to cool, if you try them hot you will hate the texture and wonder if you did them wrong, the glaze should turn a slight golden brown when you take them out. Once they cool they will harden, and the glaze will be dry and crunchy.

Ranch flavored chex snacks
Photobucket

please note the summer squash Aidan wanted to munch on, one of the few benefits of growing organic.

For this mix I didn't measure, but here are the ingredients and you can spice up your mix to your taste & liking

I used:
rice & corn chex
I then made a mixture of olive oil, dill, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt & pepper. I evenly coated the chex and tasted them often to make sure I liked the spice. I baked the chex at 375 for about 30 min., right around the time they turned slightly brown. After they were out of the oven I tossed them quickly in some premade ranch dressing mix, and cooled.


Happy feasting, and stay outta the heat (or enjoy it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...