About Aidan's mama

August 18, 2011

Tomatoes and eggplant and basil- OH BOY!

Summer, fantastic summer- how I love thee

 

 
Summer lovin' had Aidan a blast, so much fun and never enough sunscreen.

 
Last week we celebrated my sister's high school graduation and my grandfathers 88th birthday, Italian style.

 
 
My mother opted for carryout since she thought it would be too stressful for me to prepare a meal for 13 people with a running monster getting into everything, I was saddened but the food was great. The grub was from Maggiano's in Troy. On the table are some of the vegetables from the garden as decoration.

 
Aidan enjoying the bread, per usual.
 
He loves to feed his Auntie

 
Happy Birthday Grandpa!
 
 
And of course with any good Italian celebration, comes a casada cake (layered with cannoli filling)
 
 
And don't forget the accordion player, Aidan danced the night away
 
 
My contribution to the party: (not-so-key) Lime Pie

Filling: 
  • 14oz can of condensed milk
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup of lime juice- about 3 small limes
  • 2 tablespoons lime zest (from the limes for the juice)
Crust:
  • 8 sheets of gram crackers
  • 1/2 stick of light butter
Melt the butter, add crushed gram crackers. Press into a 8" pie pan, and bake at 375 until light golden brown, about 7 min. Beat all ingredients together for the filling, pour into slightly cooled pie crust. Continue baking between 15-20min, until done. Cool and enjoy!
 


 
The eggplants and tomatoes from the garden have been AMAZING! I can't keep up, and Aidan goes bananas over the sauce. I figured out that if I put the tomato sauce on anything, and I mean ANYTHING he eats it! My little guy is a freak for the sauce, LOL!

 

 
Home grown garlic, looking pimp...and tasting even better.

 

 

 My eggplant parm looks a bit odd because it is coated in oat bran and ground fresh herbs. It looks strange but it was fantastic.

 

 Sauce and parm recipe coming soon, I've been making mad crazy amounts of sauce and I will be writing down what I do soon enough to share. 

 

 Little man approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...